NEAR DYING AWARENESS
Weathering the winds of life changes
Since becoming a hospice nurse in 1981, Maggie Callanan has studied, taught, and written about death and dying. This includes the unique and symbolic communication of the dying, which is often labeled as "confused language" and consequently often ignored by professional and family caregivers. Addressing medical, personal, emotional, and spiritual aspects of life's final journeys, Maggie delivers practical, no-nonsense answers to difficult questions tempered by humor, wisdom, and compassion. Maggie is a world-renowned speaker on topics relating to the care of the dying, as well as coping strategies for hospice staff and volunteers. She divides her time between the New England coast and the Washington, DC metropolitan area.
- She is the co-author of the celebrated book Final Gifts: Understanding the Special Awareness Needs and Communication of the Dying, which is now published in ten languages.
- Final Journeys: A Practical Guide to Care and Comfort at the End of Life - her second book now in two languages is the "prequel" to Final Gifts which was published by Bantam in 2008.
- She was the first coordinator and contributing author of the "Dealing with Death" column in the American Journal of Nursing.
- She is the coordinator of the National Hospice, Palliative and Home Care Speakers Bureau, and has served as a board member of the International Association of Near Death Studies (IANDS) and the facilitator of the IANDS National Capitol Area Chapter support group for Near Death Experiencers.
- In 1995, she was named the Hospice Clinician of the Year and received the prestigious National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization’s Heart of Hospice award.
- What Should You Expect From a Death? Relatives Discuss Their Loved Ones' Final Days, WYFF 4 News, Greenville, South Carolina, August 1, 2011 [PDF Version]
- "Unified Health - A Clinician's Forum" Spring 2009 Vol. 5 # 15 Final Journeys & Nearing Death Awareness" An interview with Maggie Callanan
- Radio interview with Joan Herrmann of "Change Your Attitude, Change Your Life" (via YouTube.com), NY AM 970 Radio, February 2011 (Embeded below)
- How to Say Good-bye When Someone You Love Is Dying, MSN.com Health & Fitness Column, October 2009 [PDF Version]
- "Touching Lives" Magazine, SRI Media 2009, Pg. 9 "Celebrating the Journey
- Dealing with Death and Dying: The Four Biggest Myths About How to Act Around Someone Who's Dying, Caring.com, 2009 [PDF Version]
- "Unified Health - A Clinician's Forum" Spring 2009 Vol. 5 # 15 "Final Journeys & Nearing Death Awareness" An interview with Maggie Callanan
- The Final Journey: Understanding Dying, Jackson County Chronicle, Lifestyle Section, February 26, 2008 [PDF Version]
- "Touching Lives" Magazine, SRI Media 2008, Pg. 7 "Finding the Comfort Zone"
- Final Messages, Caring Currents Blog, Caring.com, November 7, 2008 [PDF Version]
- Near Death Awareness (NDA) among the dying, OTWOMD On The Wings of My Dream Blog, November 4, 2008
- Lessons on Dying: Essential Books to Help Understand Life's Last Moments, Wall Street Journal, August 2005 (PDF)
- FINAL GIFTS: An Interview with Maggie Callanan on Nearing-Death Awareness Gilles Bedard, January 1998 (PDF) [MSWord Format Version] [Link to French Version]
- Taking Life's Final Exit, Los Angeles Times, June 14, 2004 [PDF Version]
- End of Life Care: Some Resources to Consider The Liddy Shriver Sarcoma Initiative [PDF Version]
- What Happens When We Die? The Montreal Gazette, February 10, 2007 [PDF Version]
- Coping with Friendship Endings Because of Death by Jan Yager, Ph.D., Excerpted with revisions from Chapter 10, "How to Handle Friendships That End" from Friendshifts ®: The Power of Friendship and How It Shapes Our Lives Hannacroix Creek Books, 1999 [PDF Version]
- Nationally Syndicated Program, A Touch of Grey Radio Interview hosted by Carole Marks, Indianapolis, IN
- Ask Dr. Benzinger Radio Program 30-minute radio interview
Final Gifts Understanding the Special Awareness, Needs, and Communication of the Dying
Category: Family & Relationships - Death, Grief, Bereavement
Trade Paperback, ISBN: 978-0-553-37876-4
Final Journeys: A Practical Guide for Bringing Care and Comfort at the End of Life, Bantam Books ISBN 078-0-553-8036-9 Self Help
Final Journeys is designed to be your companion, resource, and advocate. From diagnosis through the final hours, it will help you keep the lines of communication open, get the help you need, and create the peaceful end we all hope for.